Café Wildau has had an eventful history. Many of the stones used for building this popular historical establishment had previously lain on the sandy bed of Lake Werbellin for decades.
At the beginning of the 19th century, chalky soil was extracted in this region and mixed with marl from Lake Werbellin to make cement. The little ponds to the left of the driveway leading up to Café Wildau are historical remains from this period. The original industrialist’s villa on this spot was built by a cement manufacturer by the name of Bernoulli. However, when the clay deposits ran out in 1894, the factory closed down.
In the same year, the house was purchased by Kaiser Wilhelm II owing to its wonderful position on the shores of Lake Werbellin. From then on, it was used as a guest house for the nearby imperial hunting lodge Hubertusstock, and from 1918 onwards as a forestry management facility.
After the Second World War, the building was converted into “Café Wildau”, thus becoming a popular, tradition-steeped eating place for countless day-trippers from Berlin and Brandenburg.
However, the establishment was closed down by the East German authorities in 1974. In 1981, one week before West Germany’s former chancellor Helmut Schmidt was due to make a state visit to Schloss Hubertusstock, the building was demolished, having fallen into disrepair.
In 2006, the von Hertzberg family purchased the land on which Café Wildau had formerly stood and decided to rebuild it. Following a two-year planning phase and one-year building phase, Café Wildau was reopened on 1 July 2009.
Hotel & Restaurant
on Lake Werbellin
Phone: 033363 / 52 63 0
Fax: 033363 / 52 63 29
Opening hours restaurant:
Mondays to Sundays:
6 pm to 8.30 pm
8 am to 6 pm